The second session of the RETROFEED workshop series is happening soon! This time focused on the aluminum industry with experts from the project’s partners OPTIT and ASAS presenting the solutions developed and put in place at the partner demo sites.
You can register here!
Another RETROFEED meeting has been held on 4th and 5th May in Castellón (Spain) to update the status of the project and visit the installations of TORRECID, and, specially, the ones related with RETROFEED project.
It was great to see that all new sensors to be developed within RETROFEED such as the camera that registers the heap of feedstock and the flame visualisation monitoring tool both developed by CIRCE and the quality monitoring system for clinker developed by AIMEN have been installed and it is expected that working in the following weeks.
Also, DSS has been released for all demo sites. Now, partners are testing it and making fine-tuning, but the first results have already been observed after using it such as reduction of waste, water, and electricity consumption!
Moreover, workshops for each demo site were conducted, where involved partners explained the status of the developments and the planning for the following months:
- In TORRECID (ceramic sector, Spain), they are finishing the long tests campaign of the DSS and the new sensors and equipment installed (by-pass for combustion air pre-heating, camera for monitoring heap of feedstock, etc.). They are right now evaluating the impact of the retrofitting actions.
- In SECIL (cement sector, Portugal), the flame monitoring tool is working properly and the new quality monitoring system for clinker is almost ready. Moreover, the installation of the new satellite burner will be done during mid-June and tests of the final version of DSS will start after the commissioning.
- ASAS (aluminium sector, Turkey) has finished the tests after the installation of all retrofitting modifications, reducing the amount of energy consumed. Now, they are testing the DSS to find a higher reduction in energy consumption and emission of GHG.
- At FERRIERE NORD (steel sector, Italy) and TENARIS SILCOTUB (steel sector, Romania), the results obtained show that RETROFEED solutions reduce the amount of Anthracite that they use in their processes. Moreover, the DSS helps them to make decisions about the best working configuration.
- Finally, in FERTIBERIA all the equipment is ready for the installation of the reactor in the real plant during the next production stop. Meanwhile, the digital twin and the DSS will be validated in the following months.
For finishing the first day, a visit to the whole plant of TORRECID was done, and the partners saw the exhibition room where the new products and services of the TORRECID group are shown and then, the plant with the furnace where the solutions of the RETROFEED project have been implemented.
On the second day, and with the participation of the Project Officer of RETROFEED, the guidelines for the last months related to business plans and communication activities were presented, and the e-learning platform that will be available for students, researchers and the general public was presented. Finally, a workshop about replicability and exploitation was carried out in order to obtain feedback of the RETROFEED solutions from all partners beyond the end of the project.
The next GA will be held in Istanbul (Turkey) by ASAS…stay tuned!